Or so that's what they say. But having breakfast is easier in theory than practice.
For the past 2 weeks, every night when I go to sleep I promise myself that tomorrow will be a new day. Tomorrow I'm going to get up 30 minutes earlier and make myself a nice breakfast. And every morning I snooze through those extra 30 minutes thinking "I'll do it tomorrow"
But I know I'm not alone. I was reading in an article on eDiets that nearly 4 in 10 Americans skips breakfast. "Breakfast is crucial for fueling your body, providing energy, maintaining metabolism and even improving concentration," explains eDiets Director of Nutrition Pamela Ofstein. "If you skip breakfast, you may find yourself lacking energy, hungrier and more apt to overeat later in the day."
"Eating a balanced breakfast is the goal -- protein, carbohydrate and fat sources," Pam says. "But if time is a constraint or you need something convenient, you don’t always have to go with the typical breakfast – grab a piece of fruit, yogurt and some nuts or wrap a slice of turkey and cheese in a tortilla."
Since we all are time crunched in the early hours, there are ways to start the day without skipping the most important meal, breakfast. While eating anything is better than nothing, there are couple recommendations that will give you what you need to power through your day.
Cereal, but replace the sugary magic marshmallow happy-O's for slightly more mature grownup fair. Whole grain cereals are the healthiest; full of fiber and teamed with skim milk you get a great dose of protein. Add your favorite fruit for more nutrients and a touch of sweetness.
When in real rush, a granola bar, a banana and low-fat string cheese. There isn't anything much quicker than that.
Even the college breakfast staple cold pizza is better than nothing. (While this wasn't eDiet's favorite recommendation, in a pinch, this will work. Just don't make pizza for breakfast a habit.)
So let's all start tomorrow with a good and energizing breakfast. Scanning my pantry I noticed I have couple boxes of Fiber One cereal...pretty good, huh?
Monday, September 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment