In the same category as the previous posting, I have noticed a Hollywood trend. If it's not an eating disorder, the people we are looking up too as models of beauty are using very non conventional methods to staying thin. And besides all types of drugs (legal or not) smoking is one of the main things actresses are doing to stay thin.
While bulimia and anorexia have terrible effects on the body in very short time, just because it takes a long time to see the bad effects of smoking it doesn't mean there are none. I have to admit, I used to smoke back in undergrad since it seems that there nothing else better to do. But it wasn't as bad as when I started Grad School in the US. Of course, when you see the young Hollywood skinny and walking around with a cigarette in their hand, is going to make a strong impression in a young girl's mind.
Is it worth ruining your health just to be skinny?
At that time I would had preferred to go smoke a cigarette with my roommate than go to dinner. Plus coming from an European country where everyone smokes it didn't come up as a very bad thing I was doing to my body. So, that year I lost about 20 pounds and I can say I was addicted. But, after meeting my boyfriend who's a health and exercise freak I gave up smoking and with that came these extra 40 pounds I am carrying around. But I don't blame my weight gain only on giving up smoking, there were lots of other reasons my weight piled up.
But I surpassed the phase of trying to be skinny with any price. And to be honest, the commercials on TV about the bad effects of smoking kinda scared me. And for everyone who's reading this blog, smoking is not always working. I do know overweight people that smoke like chimneys.
So I am trying to be thinner, but not at the cost of my lungs, my skin and my appearance.
I know it's hard to give up smoking, but I did it and I am working towards a better, healthier me. All you have to do, like with any addiction is to replace it with another healthier addiction. I learned now :)
So let's try to be thin and healthy!
Saturday, August 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment